Stolen Wallet / Stolen Purse Overview
Here are some steps to follow if your wallet or purse was lost or stolen. The sooner you take action the better, so act immediately once you have discovered your wallet or purse missing.
Notify The Bank And / Or Financial Institutions
- Provide a copy of the police report and case number for the stolen wallet or stolen purse
- Close or suspend accounts and move funds to new accounts if necessary
- Request that the bank contacts the major check verification companies so any further checks from your accounts will not be accepted
- Cancel ATM card(s) and set up a new account(s) using a different Personal Identification Number (PIN)
Cancel Credit Cards
Cancel all credit cards and notify the credit card companies of recent transactions so they can determine if any fraudulent charges have occurred. Upon canceling credit cards new ones will be issued.
Notify Credit Reporting Agencies
Notify the major credit reporting agencies, ask for the fraud or security department and request a fraud alert be placed on your credit report. Here is the contact information for the three major ones:
- Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
- TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289
- Experian: 1-888-397-3742
Notify the DMV if your drivers license was in the lost or stolen wallet or purse.
Run A Credit Check
Three to four weeks after your wallet or purse went missing, obtain a free copy of your credit report so you can see if fraudulent transactions or suspicious activity has been made.
How To File A Stolen Wallet Police Report
The first step in any occurrence of theft is to report the incident to the police immediately. This helps you recover the stolen item if it gets confiscated and helps with an insurance claim process on the account an official police report is required to file a claim.
Here are the general steps to file a police report:
- Call the non-emergency phone number for the local police station or law enforcement agency where the item was stolen.
- Obtain the physical address and go to the police station or law enforcement agency.
- Once there, go to the stolen property department if applicable.
- While creating a stolen property police report it's important to provide the theft detective or clerk with as many details as possible, especially the item's serial number, any identifying marks or stickers. Also include when, where and how the item was stolen.
- Once you have completed the report, be sure to obtain a copy and retain it for follow-up and recovery.
It's important to file a police report for theft, no matter how big, small or valuable the stolen item is, because it helps the police know a thief's (or thieves) M.O. and to control theft by using crime data to increase patrol in areas with a high or rising crime rate. Sometimes an area's theft rate can skyrocket because people don't report theft incidents because the stolen item isn't of high monetary value. This is called petty theft and is how a petty thief can continue stealing because the police are not made aware of their activity.
How To Report A Stolen Wallet Online
Get the world on your case! Here are the steps to create an online Stolen Wallet report for free:
- If not yet registered, click the "Register" link at the top right-hand side of the page or click the "Report" button at page top.
- Enter your information and click the "Register" button.
- Open the email account used for registration, open the verification email and click the link in the email body or copy and paste it in your browser address bar and press the "Enter" or "Return" key.
- Log in to the Stolen Lost Found Online website
- Click the "Report" link in the main navigation bar or the "Report" button at page top.
- Select the appropriate category.
- Select the appropriate sub-category.
- Select to post as Stolen.
- Enter as much information about the Stolen Wallet as possible - the make, model and serial number are especially important. Also helpful are any identifying marks and photos if available.
- Click the "Submit" button.
That's it. Once the Stolen Wallet report is submitted it will post on Stolen Lost Found Online immediately and will appear on the search engines within a day. By reporting online you literally make a world of difference for recovering your Stolen Wallet, long into the future.
Latest Stolen Wallet Reports
- Stolen Dodge Caliber serial number 1b3hb28b58d678652
- Stolen Apple iPhone 6S serial number C7JRK339GRXQ
- Stolen GoPro Hero 5 Black serial number C3161325413469
- Stolen Martin GPC12PA4 serial number 1891723
- Stolen Ibanez LGB30 serial number 8780212916
- Stolen Overton Family Cabinet Card Photographs California Circa 1890s Sterling City and Chico California serial number Vintage Photographs
- Stolen Rolex Explorer 2 serial number 6079473
- Stolen ACURA TSX serial number JH4CU2F6XAC004354
- Stolen Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM serial number 21980913
- Stolen Sony a7s ii serial number S01-3391834-H
What To Do If Your Wallet Or Purse Is Lost Or Stolen Conclusion
Stolen Lost Found Online is dedicated to providing the most current and concise What To Do If Your Wallet Or Purse Is Lost Or Stolen information. If you have any stolen Wallet information, theft prevention or consumer protection tips you would like to share, please let us know. Thanks.