Laptop Theft Page Content
Laptop Theft Overview
The ever increasing computing power of laptops and more affordable prices makes laptop theft an ever increasing problem. It only takes a moment for laptop theft to occur. As a matter of fact, laptop theft can happen in as little time as turning your back to put cream in coffee, professional thieves wait for such moments and act quickly. This is why it's so important to be aware of surroundings and always keep an eye on your laptop when in any public locations.
This article covers general laptop theft information, what to do in the event of laptop theft, how to file a laptop theft police report, how to report laptop theft online and some laptop theft prevention tips.
Password Protect A Laptop
Password protecting a laptop prevents usage of the laptop if it is stolen, and also keep less savvy thieves from accessing files and information. However, it does not protect any files or information stored on the computer from being accessed. Password protection prevents the operating system from being used, but the files can still be accessed by booting the computer from an external operating system on another computer or even a flash drive, by connecting a FireWire or USB cable and accessing the disk or removing the hard drive and accessing it with a FireWire or USB cable from another computer. Access to files can be gained in as little as one minute.
Setting a password on Mac:
- Click the Apple icon at the top left of the screen
- Select System Preferences
- Select Security
- Select the 'Require password after sleep or screen saver begins' and be sure 'Disable automatic login' check boxes are not selected.
Setting a password on Windows:
- Click the 'Start' menu
- Navigate to the control panel
- Navigate to the 'Require a password on wake up' on the left side
- Click 'Change settings that are currently unavailable'
- Click on the 'Require a password'
Although it doesn't nessecarily protect files, password protecting a computer is still important. It can buy time to change passwords, personal information and to alert financial institutions. To protect files from getting accessed, read here.
How To File A Stolen Laptop Police Report
The first step in any occurrence of theft is to report the incident to the police immediately. This helps you recover the stolen item if it gets confiscated and helps with an insurance claim process on the account an official police report is required to file a claim.
Here are the general steps to file a police report:
- Call the non-emergency phone number for the local police station or law enforcement agency where the item was stolen.
- Obtain the physical address and go to the police station or law enforcement agency.
- Once there, go to the stolen property department if applicable.
- While creating a stolen property police report it's important to provide the theft detective or clerk with as many details as possible, especially the item's serial number, any identifying marks or stickers. Also include when, where and how the item was stolen.
- Once you have completed the report, be sure to obtain a copy and retain it for follow-up and recovery.
It's important to file a police report for theft, no matter how big, small or valuable the stolen item is, because it helps the police know a thief's (or thieves) M.O. and to control theft by using crime data to increase patrol in areas with a high or rising crime rate. Sometimes an area's theft rate can skyrocket because people don't report theft incidents because the stolen item isn't of high monetary value. This is called petty theft and is how a petty thief can continue stealing because the police are not made aware of their activity.
How To Report A Stolen Laptop Online
Get the world on your case! Here are the steps to create an online Stolen Laptop report for free:
- If not yet registered, click the "Register" link at the top right-hand side of the page or click the "Report" button at page top.
- Enter your information and click the "Register" button.
- Open the email account used for registration, open the verification email and click the link in the email body or copy and paste it in your browser address bar and press the "Enter" or "Return" key.
- Log in to the Stolen Lost Found Online website
- Click the "Report" link in the main navigation bar or the "Report" button at page top.
- Select the appropriate category.
- Select the appropriate sub-category.
- Select to post as Stolen.
- Enter as much information about the Stolen Laptop as possible - the make, model and serial number are especially important. Also helpful are any identifying marks and photos if available.
- Click the "Submit" button.
That's it. Once the Stolen Laptop report is submitted it will post on Stolen Lost Found Online immediately and will appear on the search engines within a day. By reporting online you literally make a world of difference for recovering your Stolen Laptop, long into the future.
Latest Stolen Laptop Reports
- Stolen Laptop Gateway serial number NXY34AA00134104ADB3400
- Stolen toshiba laptop ID 5620
- Stolen Asus K5 Laptop serial number 00-23-15-41-1E-D0
- Stolen Asus laptop serial number A9N0AS94937840A
- Stolen Laptop Unknown serial number 8k019H5575J
Laptop Theft Conclusion
Stolen Lost Found Online is dedicated to providing the most current and concise Laptop Theft information. If you have any stolen Laptop information, theft prevention or consumer protection tips you would like to share, please let us know. Thanks.