Burglary Page Content
Burglary, also known as breaking and entering and at times referred to as housebreaking, is the illegal act of entering any structure (not limited to a residential or commercial building) for the purpose of committing a crime (it's not limited to theft / larceny although most times this is the intended purpose). For burglary, there is no actual physical breaking and entering required, an offender my merely trespass through an open door or window. Burglary, unlike robbery, typically doesn't involve a victim present. The act of burglary in America is burglarize and in British English is to burglar.
Here are the California and Federal burglary laws:
How To File A Stolen Property Police Report
The first step in any occurrence of theft is to report the incident to the police immediately. This helps you recover the stolen item if it gets confiscated and helps with an insurance claim process on the account an official police report is required to file a claim.
Here are the general steps to file a police report:
- Call the non-emergency phone number for the local police station or law enforcement agency where the item was stolen.
- Obtain the physical address and go to the police station or law enforcement agency.
- Once there, go to the stolen property department if applicable.
- While creating a stolen property police report it's important to provide the theft detective or clerk with as many details as possible, especially the item's serial number, any identifying marks or stickers. Also include when, where and how the item was stolen.
- Once you have completed the report, be sure to obtain a copy and retain it for follow-up and recovery.
It's important to file a police report for theft, no matter how big, small or valuable the stolen item is, because it helps the police know a thief's (or thieves) M.O. and to control theft by using crime data to increase patrol in areas with a high or rising crime rate. Sometimes an area's theft rate can skyrocket because people don't report theft incidents because the stolen item isn't of high monetary value. This is called petty theft and is how a petty thief can continue stealing because the police are not made aware of their activity.
How To Report A Stolen Property Online
Get the world on your case! Here are the steps to create an online Stolen Property report for free:
- If not yet registered, click the "Register" link at the top right-hand side of the page or click the "Report" button at page top.
- Enter your information and click the "Register" button.
- Open the email account used for registration, open the verification email and click the link in the email body or copy and paste it in your browser address bar and press the "Enter" or "Return" key.
- Log in to the Stolen Lost Found Online website
- Click the "Report" link in the main navigation bar or the "Report" button at page top.
- Select the appropriate category.
- Select the appropriate sub-category.
- Select to post as Stolen.
- Enter as much information about the Stolen Property as possible - the make, model and serial number are especially important. Also helpful are any identifying marks and photos if available.
- Click the "Submit" button.
That's it. Once the Stolen Property report is submitted it will post on Stolen Lost Found Online immediately and will appear on the search engines within a day. By reporting online you literally make a world of difference for recovering your Stolen Property, long into the future.
Latest Stolen Property Reports
- Stolen Dodge Caliber serial number 1b3hb28b58d678652
- Stolen Apple iPhone 6S serial number C7JRK339GRXQ
- Stolen GoPro Hero 5 Black serial number C3161325413469
- Stolen Martin GPC12PA4 serial number 1891723
- Stolen Ibanez LGB30 serial number 8780212916
- Stolen Overton Family Cabinet Card Photographs California Circa 1890s Sterling City and Chico California serial number Vintage Photographs
- Stolen Rolex Explorer 2 serial number 6079473
- Stolen ACURA TSX serial number JH4CU2F6XAC004354
- Stolen Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM serial number 21980913
- Stolen Sony a7s ii serial number S01-3391834-H
Stolen Lost Found Online is dedicated to providing the most current and concise Burglary information. If you have any stolen Property information, theft prevention or consumer protection tips you would like to share, please let us know. Thanks.